Thread: Raise the fence
View Single Post

Old 05-17-2016, 01:56 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I wonder if you actually read the article you supplied, or correct me if I am wrong, you are just adding mud?

"The Clintons returned about $48,000 in furniture, and they paid the government about $86,000 for other items." This was a direct cut and paste from your article, and it confirmed the statement above that they stole thousands of dollars worth of property. They were allowed to pay most of it back, but giving back someone's car that you stole and joy rode in, doesn't make it NOT a theft.
Our ruling

A viral graphic said that Hillary Clinton was forced to return about $200,000 worth of furniture, artwork and china that she had stolen from the White House. The statement contains several inaccuracies.

The Clintons returned about $48,000 in furniture, and they paid the government about $86,000 for other items. Any way you count it, the $200,000 figure is too high.

According to top ethics lawyers, it’s at least debatable -- and at worst hyperbolic -- to say the Clintons "stole" the items. A congressional investigation found poor tracking of ownership and final disposition of gifts, which makes it hard to speak definitively of wrongdoing. In fact, two items the Clintons returned were ultimately sent back to them. Finally, it’s worth making clear that the "force" they responded to was political pressure, not legal jeopardy.

Accusations of stealing are serious and require a high threshold of evidence, unmet by the charges in this over-the-top graphic. We rate the claim Mostly False.