Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 05-25-2016, 08:51 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Good morning,

Often here we talk about hair: Haircuts. Hair Color. Hair Stylists. Hair Products. Hair Angst.

I am among those aging boomers who cannot go gently into white hair -- even though I think white hair looks beautiful on friends and strangers. Gray hair looks beautiful, too.........Sometimes I think if mine could go through the transitioning in that lovely salt and pepper way, I would be fine........

But nooooooo, my roots grow in white. And those roots come in fast.

I have decided to try to give up on the darker base-color retouch and to highlight more heavily at the roots, lighter and lighter, while hoping to gradually blend in the white.

I am one of the abominable snowbirds.......sort of, although we are in our TV house more often than just winter. That means I am going through this process in two states.

Last winter, I found Myra at Urban Hair Studio, which is a Wella Salon. I really like Myra. She listens and communicates and understands the complexity that coloring hair can be. With bleaching, knowing how and when to use a toner is really important. Myra did mine just right. A good colorist has to be a good chemist. Myra also gives a good haircut.

Although not going gently into my real white hair is a big commitment, I do like the fact that bleach (done right) gives hair more oomph. And my hair needs all the oomph it can get.

This Girl Talk thread was started by Barefoot many years ago. And if you go back to the first page, you will see the very first topic was......you guessed it! Hair! And I am still here. A little embarrassing actually. Have I stayed too long? Agonizing over my hair color?

Any thoughts and suggestions on how to make this transition into reality? Or the best way not to?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-25-2016 at 09:09 AM.