View Single Post

Old 05-30-2016, 11:54 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Too many of our men and boys died for nothing in Vietnam. So, yes, that war was an obscenity. Their deaths were tragedies. Those who came back wounded, affected by Agent Orange, afflicted with PTSD deserved so much better. At least to have fought in an honorable war, not to die and suffer there.

As to my comment about the spouses and children of active duty personnel, you try sitting home and waiting and praying that your loved one comes home alive, in one piece and mentally sound. The families really don't get a respite. It preys on them 24/7. Even those in battle get down times. Add to that the constant moving, the having to learn new cultures, mores of the host nation, I'd say the families serve as much as the individual wearing the uniform.

If you consider anything I've said as disparaging, I'd say your logic is seriously faulty. Not liking what the government does is not putting down those who have the courage to go to battle. Acknowledging that military families have it rough is not disparaging the ones in uniform.

My father and brother served proudly and honorably. Both received more than their share of medals and citations. Both died way too young. I am proud of them and proud of their service. I'm just as proud of my mother's sacrifices and fears.
Twist it any way you wish, but you don't know anything about the subject. Sitting back here in comfort and safety is not comparable to sitting wet in a dark jungle, listening to a nearby tiger or having a poisonous snake slide across you while you are trying to "watch" or get a few moments of shuteye. So dark that you can hold your hand in front of your face and not see a difference in the dark. Hoping/praying that your blindness in the dark won't be the cause of anyone else's death. Or your own. Hoping that the next drop of dew from a leaf that falls on your neck won't drive you crazy thinking that the enemy was behind you with a sharp blade sliding across your throat. Wondering when you will ever, if ever have a dry pair of socks on your feet again. Agent orange was not a thought back then.
Sorry if I don't sympathize with those that "worried" about their loved ones that were over there, like that makes someone a great patriot. And I do not mean to be mean spirited, just disappointed that anyone would "assume" an equal sufferance. Don't presume to know what it was like, because no amount of TV or Theater can indue the actual experience we willingly subjected ourselves to in the name of American liberty. Sounds corny, but no matter how many others that are angry, guilty or hurt from the experience, I won't blame my country for my participation. I was very disappointed in our reception upon return from the Far East, but that's what it's all about.
I've paid my dues for living in such a great country, so I accept those of an opinion that our government was wrong. But, I will never accept an opinion that we fought for nothing, or that my comrades in arms died for a wrongful war. Yes, America lost that war, because it was run by politicians instead of Generals. We could have won that war in short order if given a chance. I have heard that the war was very lucrative for the Johnsons. I'll let you research that one. I am sure you will be surprised at what you find out about what the Johnson family had going. Not that I care.
We lost almost 60,000 men in that war and another 50,000 by suicide afterward. I will attribute many of that 50K deaths to how our Vets were treated when they returned.
How about a bit more support and respect for our military now, rather than telling them that what they are doing is wrong. How about holding back on your opinions when you don't agree, but also don't know the full extent of what those guys/gals go through in combat? If you want to be patriotic, why not hold your opinion when you know it can cause resentment or hurt?

A paraphrased saying that I read on a zippo lighter once:

"For those that fight for it, Freedom and Liberty has a flavor that the protected will never taste." I have no idea where it came from or if I even have it close to correct, but the theme is close.