Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 06-14-2016, 11:00 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Clothes-shur......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I am hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.....

I am so aggravated at having brand new black pants turn a noncommittal shade of charcoal gray after just two or three washings.

The pants are cotton, mostly capris. Some of them from L. L. Bean and Lands End.

I wash them in cold water. I turn them inside-out. I use Woolite. Sometimes I use Cheer. Both of those promise to guard my colors. But that is not happening.

I am spending my life-savings replacing capris because the ones in my closet look like 50 shades of charcoal.

Any laundry tips that can put me back in black?

I know. I know it is excruciatingly tacky to quote oneself, as I am doing above by citing p. 252, post 2511, here in "Girl Talk." But it has been a long time since our October discussion of how to keep our black pants black.

Thank you for all the good suggestions following my question when I originally asked. -- I thought I would pick up again here and tell you what I am doing that seems to be helping...........

I am still using Woolite or Cheer and turning the pants inside-out but NOW all I use is the delicate cycle and I have been adding a tiny bit of Downy to the wash cycle itself. Just putting it directly into the water. Not a lot though.......

This is based on the theory that clothes can kind of beat each other up while sloshing around together in the washer and the use of only the delicate cycle plus the touch of Downy might be making the clothes take it a little easier on each other and keep their color longer.

The old linen capris always get to go to the cleaners. But I admit that while they are gone, I fret a bit over the possibility of a dry cleaner using too much heat when pressing black linen and giving me back shiny pants.

I recently bought a couple of pairs of sort of dressy capris from Talbots, but so far they are just hanging in the closet waiting to go somewhere........Well, they did get to go to be hemmed so I will not look like I am wearing the dreaded highwater pants.....

which brings up that other issue of where do proper length capris stop? ...... Yeah. I know. Just above where the skinniest part of the leg starts???

Last edited by Boomer; 06-14-2016 at 01:13 PM.