Thread: Open Play Rules
View Single Post

Old 06-21-2016, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I went to beginners play yesterday as I haven’t graduated from PB103 to attend Advanced Beginner sessions. While I am still a work in progress, my partner for that game was playing quite well. Our opponents were beginner beginners who didn’t start the game in the correct positions which put them at a disadvantage from the get-go. We tried to be nice in giving them suggestions on positions. They accused us of playing in the wrong class and then left the courts after the first game. While I would like my game to be at an open level, I have not achieved that yet. It was a hot day and I hope the couple we faced that day would cool down and continue to learn to play BP. It’s only a game played for fun!
Even after you've taken PB103, you should probably do one of two things: ask one of the instructors what level you should play at open play--beginners or advanced beginners.

Or you should keep playing for a while at beginners level until you are winning most games. Then move up.

Taking PB 103 does not automatically qualify you to be an advanced beginner.

Another thing you could consider doing is going to one of the rating clinics to see exactly what level you're on. Then you will be in the PB system as a rated player and can take part in leagues, drills, and tournaments if you want.

Don't worry about what your opponents are doing. Just concentrate on your own game. If they ask, that's one thing. But few people like being told what to do unless it's by an instructor.