Thread: Booze & Books
View Single Post

Old 06-25-2016, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbill70 View Post
I have often thought that this is a retail opportunity missed. Go to any large ladies clothing store and you will find our Wives spending hours looking , feeling , touching and then the inevitable "I'm just going to try these on and then we can go" which takes another 1/2 hour. The menfolk can usually be found sitting on chairs near the entrances or wandering aimlessly around looking at their watches. What a difference it would make if a small bar could be set up in a corner of the store, the Ladies could shop, their husbands could have a couple of drinks the store would make a couple of extra bucks and everyone would be happy. We might even ask you to try on a couple more outfits, (as long as you don't actually buy them !.
While going to school I worked part time at Bonwit Teller which was an exclusive women's store on Michigan Ave. At Christmas they would make a section of the upper floor a bar for the men to pass the time while their wives shopped. Between the camaraderie and drinks on the house they never hunted for their wives to hurry them out.