Thread: Slow greens
View Single Post

Old 07-11-2016, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I've played nine different executive course so far. The greens have ranged from slow to medium. Bogart were the slowest I played and Silver Lake and Hilltop are among the fastest. My Stimpmeter is back up north, unless my kids have sold it so I can't tell you what the speeds are, but I don't think that any of them are at 5 feet.

Although I prefer greens on the faster side, I don't care if they're fast or slow. What bothers me is that most of the Execs don't have a practice putting green so that you can get an idea of the speed before you play. I had about a 12 foot birdie putt on the first hole of Bogart when I played that and left is five feet short. I had played another course the day before and the green were much faster.

The problem that I see with most of the greens north of 466 is that they are simply not maintained properly. With the exception of Oakleigh, all of the greens up north have had huge spots of dead grass.

On one course someone had put down a large amount of the green divot sand on the bad areas. I can't see that helping. It's unfortunate but, IMHO, because of this lack of proper maintenance many of these green will have to be completely replaced. It's currently being done on several courses but it should never have been allowed to come to this.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.