View Single Post

Old 07-27-2016, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
...Another interesting place to go "off the campus bubble" is the Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park, especially in the colder winter time where you can easily view manatees. It is west of The Villages near the gulf. Essentially, you take route 44 and head west until your tires get wet. And as long as you are on that side of the state, try visiting the town of Crystal River. It is right on the Crystal River bay and has some GREAT restaurants and really nice views of the water.

All of these are about an hour drive away.
We went yesterday to Homosassa Springs State Park, it's only about 40 miles. We first went to Riverside Crab House because I wanted to see Monkey Island. There is suppose to be 5 monkeys living on the island, but we only saw two, there a webcam which I'll post a link below. The Riverside Crab House we didn't try the crabs because my wife is from Maryland and is very particular about how they are prepared, they must use Old Bay or forget it. We both had a shrimp basket, can't say too much about the food. The shrimp were fine, the corn on the cob was not hot and a little mushy and the cole slaw was alright.

We also walked through Crystal River Mall, I remember when that place opened in 1989 and they had a Pennys, Sears, Belks and K-Mart. The K-Mart is the only one left, the whole mall should be shut down. Looking at K-Mart prices, I can see why they doing so bad, everything was much higher than Walmart.

We went to the State Park and did the River Boat Cruise, it's an interesting 20 minute ride. However, yesterday was so hot and the boat has no roof, that by the time we finished we skipped the trail walk and the underwater observatory. What was amazing was it was free.

My parents had retired in 1983 to a 55+ community called Timber Pines in Spring Hill. I had been all over that area in the 80's but had not been back until yesterday. Everything was so unrecognizable. Crystal River and Homosassa Springs has grown but they are still sort of sleepy little fishing towns with just more cars. Go 20 miles south and Spring Hill is really congested, I would not want to be there in high season.

Waterfront seafood dining, Riverside Crab House - Homosassa FL

Monkey Island Webcam

Florida State Homosassa Springs

The Villages Florida