View Single Post

Old 08-14-2016, 08:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Good morning, pooh,

I am not a meteorologist, but your photo sent me on a Google.

Could it be an asperatus cloud? I just read that the Cloud Appreciation Society had quite a conversation a few years back about whether asperatus could be an official cloud or not. (Who knew there was such a thing as the Cloud Appreciation Society. )

Well, asperatus must have made the cut because there is a nice lineup of cloud photos on accuweather.com and there is asperatus looking all official..........but I don't know if that is what you have here. Maybe it is a mammatus or even an asperatus trying to form.

Did you see what happened to it? Did it undulate or dissipate? Or did it just merrily roll along?

Great photo. Thanks. And thanks for giving me a few minutes of some interesting research.

Marian Boomer
It just moved along Boomer as one huge mass. No undulation that I could notice. Was trying to see if it anviled, but saw nothing like that. It just rolled along, very slowly.

Had so few pretty cloud formations in our location in southern CA, I just enjoy seeing them here.

I'll have to check out asperatus formations....now I'll be doing a Google search, too...

Last edited by pooh; 08-14-2016 at 09:44 AM.