View Single Post

Old 08-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
I'm a disabled veteran, serving 34 years with the Marine Corps, both in and out of uniform. I don't like crowds, I always sit with my back against a wall in any restaurant, and am continually anxious with various surroundings. To make this short, I have a ESA (Emotional Support Animal) who is a Yorkie (Silky), who is certified (with certificate), papers, ID's and vest. She brings comfort to me when we're around people (more than a dozen or so). The tenant who has this dog, MUST, at your request, present you with his/her certification. Anyone can buy a vest or borrow one from a friend. This does NOT make this dog a service dog. However, to have/need/require a service dog, is different for everyone. I don't have to have her with me when I golf, with friends, etc. And never bring her into a restaurant, or grocery store, but when I fly on an aircraft, she's sitting with me, as well as what I described above. Once again he/she (tenant) MUST present their certification, and what kind of service the dog provides. Hope this helps.....
Bless you for your service to our Country. I side with you and all others who need or have a Comfort Dog. I also side with people who take a handicapped parking space. I also think if you approach someone about their animal or parking space you deserve to be put in your place. Who Deputized you Mr or Mrs Barney Fife? Live your own life and let others live theirs. As far as a tenant leaving a dog behind when they choose to go out didn't this cross your mind before you took the rent? Did you mention that the dog destroyed the house? Your tenant may have been having a great day and ventured out alone to give the dog a break. Maybe it was so hot out the tenant wanted Fido to stay in the A/C.

I'm sure the landlord is a fine person but maybe the tenant was out looking for a place where they would be more serene without the landlord on the property three days in a row. I had a grand plan years ago to buy four houses in one neighborhood and fortunately got to purchase three of them. In a moment of honest self appraisal I realized I wasn't cut out for the landlord thing. It sure was great when things were running smoothly which was hardly ever. I sold all three houses and moved from the area. Not one of those houses had a garage but if they did I would have been the one worrying about a tenant's dog and being a pain. I just couldn't help not surveying the property I owned. At that time I was not fit to be a landlord...short tempered and when I thought about threatening someone about the rent being late I knew to let the dream go and dream a new dream.

After 20 plus years of not being a landlord I believe in 2017 I am going back into business in TV or the surrounding area. I'm more comfortable with myself and will not be the pain I know I was in the past. Think it through before you rent again before something bad happens. Take Care.