View Single Post

Old 05-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Default Re: Ballroom Dancing for Singles

This is an old post, but I just noticed it, and hope you are still interested.

Yes there is a Singles Ballroom Dance Club. There's a class at Pimlico Rec. Ctr. each Wed. at 3:00, with practice sessions before and after every class. Practice sessions are 2:30 - 3:00, (then class from 3 to 4:00) then more practice from 4 to 4:45 or whenever. The group has about 75 people, and it's an enthusiastic group, very interested in learning. Our first class was Waltz for 6 wks, then we just finished 6 wks of Swing. Next Wednesday we start on Foxtrot.

This is a good time to join, and start a new class with the group. We also sometimes go out to eat or dance elsewhere.

There are no club dues, and each class session is about $26.00. There are some in the class that have been doing ballroom for many years, and are there to help the beginners and support singles ballroom dancing in The Villages. Most of us can see that TV is very "couples oriented", and cater to couples. We have nothing against couples of course, but that excludes a great number of our population. So this helps those who like to dance with a partner.

This is the only ballroom dance class here that I know of where no partner is required to sign up. There's almost an equal balance of male/female in the class, we currently need a few more men to balance it out. The teachers are excellent and they rotate partners so that everyone gets to dance. Geri & John Conrad are excellent teachers.

To get into the class, call TV Lifelong Learning College 753-3035 and ask for the Singles Ballroom Foxtrot class, #2263.304, June 4-July 9. I think the cost is $26.00 for residents.