View Single Post

Old 05-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Attic Fans - are they worthwhile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca
Why not start at 95 and lower the temp to 80 - 85?
My answer if you are serious:* The manufacturer's default setting for the thermostat is 110.* The installer changes it to 105 because he feels it gets the garage temp down a couple more degrees.* Setting it much lower than that likely makes the fan run almost all the time without any signifcant temperature reduction in the garage. This assumes the uninsulated garage heats up to a temp higher than the ambient air. For example, my existing closed garage temp gets up to about 110 in the afternoons when its only 88 outside. Garage insulation and/or an attic fan will apparently help those who don't want to leave their garage door open a lot.

My answer if you are joking:* I prefer the temperature at 72 in the garage, so I think I'll lower the durn attic fan thermo to 87. (When it's 97 degrees outside)*

This is why when I think of not AC'ing the garage I remind myself that no matter how much (outside) air is circulating through the attic or through the garage, the garage will never be cooler than the outside air. I remind myself of the 97 degree afternoons.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley