View Single Post

Old 08-24-2016, 07:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolf View Post
It means that I have done everything from laying sod to digging out traps, to cutting fairways and greens to teaching at both private and public courses. Moving a bit off topic. I am saying that it is more than likely the costs associated with overseeding that are pushing this forward. Someone asked about the actual cost and while I cant tell you what the maintenance team would be paying I can give you a rough idea of the requirement. The average course would utilize approx. 500 lb per acre to overseed. A few years ago the cost would be in the $125k-$225k per 18 hole course to overseed. Certainly The Villages has some economies of scale relative to their buying power but the cost is not insignificant.
So, the question is what makes this season different from the past. Play has been good. Year over year, play has increased. One can assume revenue has not decreased to an extent that it makes overseeding impossibly expensive compared to last year. So, what has changed? Rain.

I don't think the developer who has done so much right in marketing this place would intentionally cause the golf courses, that are such an integral part of the appeal, to look less than their best during the high season unless it was out of his control. And nothing related to money is out of their control. But Mother Nature is.