View Single Post

Old 09-03-2016, 07:45 AM
n/a

Default Re: The real world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
African Americans are still concentrated in neighborhoods with high poverty and still lack full access to decent housing | Economic Policy Institute

Let's talk about how these places can be improved. Maybe some of the TOTVers have some wisdom in this area.

I lived in one of these drug invested and mainly poor black neighborhoods in the Summer of 1988 in Minneapolis and basically would not go out after dark because of the often drug deals going on across the street in the park. Shots would sometimes ring out at night.

The rent was very cheap that Summer.

Part of the problem back then was that people were still judged by the color of their skin and that would close many doors that were wide open to people of other colors.

That still seems to be a problem. As does the extremely limited resources going to these neighborhoods and the attractiveness of the relative very easy but very risky drug trade.
You surely do not want to hear this BUT
The word prejudice is PRE JUDGEMENT. It is a survival skill.
You in your post speak about 1988 and say back then people were judged by the color of their skin. That has not changed. You ADMIT that you would not go out at night.

This country just finish the administration of our first black president. While I did not vote for Obama nothing would have made me prouder than to need to admit that he was a great president and put a major dent in the cancer we call racism. Instead, Obama chose to fan the sparks into flames. We now have Hillary WHORING for votes by speaking in front of groups like the Trevon Martin association. Before the race baiters like Sharpton got to Trevon's mother she herself said her son was no good.
We accept groups like black lives matter AND DO NOT SEE THEM AS RACIST. YET, if there is a group white lives matter we would all see that as what it is RACIST. There are far too many similar examples BLACK CAUCUS is yet another.
I am WHITE. My dad was a wounded WWII vet and I was born only 5 years after he left combat. We grew up in worse poverty then what we feel is acceptable for people on the public tab-WELFARE. I had what many whites feel is an unfair advantage. While we did not have much money, my parents were married through my entire life.
I knew who my father was. There was none of this well it could have been or??? or????? or??????? The first thing my father bought me was a BOOK. I cherished it and I still have it.
As to black. We have two distinctly different black cultures in the US. People we call islanders were histrionically French slaves also seized in Africa. The death rates among the French Slaves were actually far worse than for American slaves and yet they are among the hardest WORKING people in the US. They too cherish education and family. Then you have our domestic blacks.
Eighty percent of the black babies are born to unwed mothers. Far too many are damaged by drug use and venereal disease before they are even born. They have no or few people to encourage them to get an EDUCATION so they end up LIKE TREVON MARTIN or that other one BROWN.