Thread: depreciate
View Single Post

Old 09-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Platinum member
Post My experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
How much does a new golf cart depreciate when it is sold? Is there a rule of thumb for subsequent years?
I am beginning to looking at used carts and trying to determine approximate values. I am sure brand does matter so how about a Yamaha?
To avoid the electric vs. gas debate, let me offer a response to the original question.

When I went to The Villages Golf Cars at 910 Bichara Blvd, Lady Lake, near Spanish Springs Town Square, I found a rebuilt gas model that I wanted. I had not come in my current electric cart, but when I told the salesman the brand, type, approximate year and general condition, he consulted a list that contained such data and made an offer for a price for my trade in that I thought was quite generous.

SO.... I conclude that there are figures on the value of used carts based upon these factors. To what extent a salesman will share this information with you I do not know, but surely one will give you an indication of the relative depreciation rate of electric vs. gas, and different brands.

Here's a hint. If the batteries on a trade in are getting old (and their date when put into service does appear on the batteries) then the value of the cart will be diminished, regardless of brand.

Note that I traded in an electric (which came with the purchase of the house) to buy a gas cart and would never own another electric.