Thread: depreciate
View Single Post

Old 09-14-2016, 03:04 PM
Platinum member
Talking Reconditioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Depending on how much you drive you may be gassing up every week. Gas golf cart don't get great gas mileage. Typically they get about 23-26 mpg. Not that that's bad, it's just that most people think they get a lot more. A typical gas cart has a tank that holds about 6-7 gallons.

Personally, I like the convenience of simply plugging my cart in every time I finish using it and filling the batteries once a month. Running to the gas station all the time and changing the oil is not what I consider convenient.

Sorry, I didn't meant o turn this into a gas vs electric debate, but I did want to give my opinion and perhaps correct a misconception that guitarguy has.

http://http://www.golfcarcatalog.com...ed-golf-carts/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Since it's gone down the gas vs electric path, I gotta jump in...

Sorry Doc, but not even close. My gas cart is I'm pretty certain fairly typical of TV, and it gets 40 mpg regardless of how I drive it. I head to the gas station every 3-4 weeks (is that "all the time"?) when my odometer reaches 125 miles. I still have about a quarter tank left and it typically takes 2.8-3.1 gallons to fill it up.

And adhering closely to my maintenance schedule, I've changed the oil once in the past three years.

"...plugging my cart in every time I finish using it"...now THAT sounds more like "all the time".
THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT GAS VS. ELECTRIC, BUT RATHER ABOUT THE CHOICE OF GETTING A "RECONDITIONED" CART.

I bought a long wheel based 4 passenger cart that was factory designed for four passengers facing forward. The salesman said that since it was so much bigger and heavier than the standard two passenger cart that I should only expect around 25 mpg rather than the more commonplace 35 to 40 mpg.

I like to "joy ride" in the cart and use it a lot when I'm in TV. After a week or so of extensive travel I get concerned about the gas level and head to the gas station, and then am usually surprised to find that I've used only about 1 1/2 gallons. Oil change once a year.

The salesman also said that driving wide open all the time doesn't hurt the engine because it isn't really wide open due to the governor used to limit the speed. Accordingly, it can be expected to be dependable for decades.

I bought a "reconditioned" cart from The Villages Golf Cars at Spanish Springs. Reconditioning included a new windshield, new seats, new running gears in the transmission, inspection of the engine, removing the body from the frame, rustproofing the frame, repainting the body, and new side curtains. It came with a three year warranty. It has been trouble free for over three years.