View Single Post

Old 10-05-2016, 02:15 AM
Kup Kake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxman View Post
When we moved here 5 years ago we set up a Termite plan that cost $475 to set up and then $95 to treat each year. Now we are starting year 6 and they want another $475 for a ten year plan that still includes $95 a year for treatments. We have a Cyprus that is approximately 1900 Sq feet. I am wondering if there is a cheaper option or if this is needed at all?
Okay -- let's see. So far you've paid $855 total, assuming the first year's $95, was covered in your initial contract of $475.

Now they want another $475 plus $950 for ten years more.

That's a lot of cash for a house that's only 5 years old at this point. I guess no one ever told you that mainly older houses get termites, and probably not even 1% during the first ten years anyway, and usually much older than that.

They sold you a bill of goods as they do most homeowners here in TV. Pest control runs rampant here, most of which is not necessary.

Personally, I would not renew that contract. For peace of mind, if you need it, I would have a periodic termite inspection -- an inspection only -- no chemicals. I would not deal with the company you currently use -- the one who wants you to sign up again.

A previous house of mine in south Florida was built in 1987. That house nor any of the surrounding neighbors (built by the same builder) have ever had a termite problem.