View Single Post

Old 10-19-2016, 09:13 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

You may not be able to drive your golf cart but there are many places outside the bubble where you can shop. The Squares are open to the public and you don't have to shop there.

I am familiar with company stores and so called company towns. My father and grandfather were coalminers in Kentucky and southern Illinois. I can see where you might draw some similarities to The Villages but in my opinion this place is far from being a company town and far from having so called company stores. Miners in the 1920's thru the early 1950's suffered from poor working conditions affecting their health and welfare plus wages that were so bad that they were unable to provide adequately for their families. The Villages is the economic engine for this area and is far from being the company town or company store of the past IMHO.

The income of the "inmates" choosing to live here in The Villages is well above the average for adults age 55 and above. Many worked hard and bypassed instant gratification to obtain the village lifestyle. Indeed, we are a fortunate group but it was well earned. Fore!