Thread: Lawn mowing
View Single Post

Old 06-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,132 Times in 418 Posts
Default Dramatic Difference

We have Empire Zoysia and until about 3 months ago, we were having it fertilized by the largest service in The Villages using a granular fertilizer applied with a broadcast spreader. The lawn looked OK.

About three months ago, I switched to the fertilizer and pest control treatment that is applied along with water thru your irrigation system. How do I say this without giving an unpaid ad? Ahh, phooey...Fertigator!

Wow! What a difference! The grass is noticeably thicker compared to our neighbors and with a richer, green color. And I haven't seen any weeds in the grass or fire ant hills. (I must admit, we didn't have many before switching services.) If you pay in advance as I did, the monthly cost is a little less than our previous service. We couldn't be happier!

Also, when the new system was installed the technician re-set our irrigation system to water only about 2/3 of the time we were watering before. They did say that their system requires less water use and a lower water bill, of course. A "greener footprint", as they say. I guess I do see a reduction in the water bill--maybe $10-12 a month. But they changed the water rates a month or so ago, so I can't tell how much is the new rate and how much is less usage. I guess I'll need to go back and look at the water bills.