View Single Post

Old 11-28-2016, 03:50 AM
Veteran member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Efficient (the word I used) means handles a greater volume of traffic and is also safer. The roundabouts in TV are an appropriate size for the traffic they are asked to handle and are still far more efficient than either stop signs or traffic signals would be at the locations they are implemented.

Replacing all the roundabouts in TV (it's not gonna happen by-the-way) would certainly result in far greater delays and almost as certainly fewer accidents. This claim is backed up by numerous traffic studies over the years as roundabouts have become more widespread.

Roundabouts are only good at intersections and in areas that meet certain criteria, and the locations in TV where roundabouts have been implemented meet those criteria.

From a more anecdotal perspective, I have been in TV for almost four years now, and I've never witnessed an accident in a roundabout. I've seen a few of the silly, potentially dangerous driver actions of course, but none that couldn't be avoided by adhering to the two most important roundabout driving principles... 1) when approaching a roundabout always yield to traffic in both lanes of the roundabout, and 2) never drive alongside another vehicle when within the roundabout. Obey those two "rules" and the only mistake that can hurt you in the roundabout is one of your own doing.

I will agree with you that many residents, and especially visitors, don't know how to drive the roundabouts. But if you drive according to the two rules listed above, even those drivers' mistakes will be easily avoidable.

By the way, just for the record, during my career I spent roughly thirty years in the field of traffic and transportation. I am a Professional Engineer in the State of Florida and have a Masters Degree in Transportation Engineering from the University of Florida.
Efficiency has nothing to do with safety. The two words are not synonymous.
When you are already driving within our circles, only two vehicles (maximum, per lane) can barely drive in between each of the four exit/entrances.
That is not efficient. They are too small and with the increased population, they seem to be ever-shrinking.

No one ever said the circles would be replaced. Of course they won't be.
And yes -- replacement would result in fewer accidents, as you said.
Where does one find these "traffic studies" to substantiate what you are saying?
I'm not really sure that the implementation of circles throughout the country is "widespread." Some -- yes, but limited, perhaps.

In every single area where there is a circle, the intersection exactly mimics a four-way intersection which would have a minimum of two stop signs or a traffic light.
There is no difference and it is pretty much universal throughout the country.

"anecdotal perspective???

I've been in this area for an equal amount of time and have seen about half a dozen fender benders within a circle.

A "professional engineer?" So is my husband. I have never heard of a degree in "transportation engineering," per se. Does it have something to do with a bus?