View Single Post

Old 12-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Gold member
Default For my 2 cents worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Good advice. I have used Vanguard for many years and they do an excellent job. The Wellington and Wellesley funds are two of the best in the industry and there index funds are some of the lowest expense ratios available. However I also use Fidelity and Schwab on a somewhat limited basis for speciality products. It's hard to beat the Schwab investor checking account with a debit card. No fees anywhere in the world and VERY competitive exchange rates for other currency. If you travel out of the US anywhere that one card is the least expensive way to handle foreign exchange and ATM's
re: Wellington and Wellesley
They are both available as ADMIRALTY SHARES. If, you have minimum of 50.000 int the fund you can get ADMIRALTY SHARES same fund but the management fee drops by about 1/3. RE: ADMIRALTY SHARES. BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE, VANGUARD DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY SHIFT YOU TO THE LOWER MANAGEMENT GROUP AND THEY CERTAINLY DO NOT ADVISE YOU THAT IF YOU WERE TO PUT ANOTHER .......... INTO YOUR HOLDING YOU WILL THEN BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE LOWER FEES.

Wellington is roughly 60% stocks and 40% bonds. Wellesley is roughly 40% stocks and 60% bonds so if you are looking for say a 50/50 mix the math is fairly simple as to how much of each you need to hold.