View Single Post

Old 12-21-2016, 03:43 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Having 28 funds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcxr750 View Post
The following funds with percentages came up on the Vanguard website in 2015. I haven't seen anything similar in 2016. It was based on risk tolerance, etc.
The funds were VBMFX, VGTSX,VTIBX VTSMX. Search the Vanguard website to determine percentages for your risk tolerance, goals, etc.
One model portfolio consisted only of VPGDX.
Another portfolio created by one of Raymond James top advisors in NEOhio, consisted of more than 28 funds and has outperformed the other models by 1.5% this year. Last year not so good. See your local Raymond James advisor.
The important issue to me was that a professionally managed portfolio of 28 funds matched the Vanguard portfolio of 4 funds. The big difference, no 1% management fee and no free coffee.
Your statement which is obviously meant to be tong in cheek is at least in part prejudicial. First of all Fidelity has many funds with less than a 1% management fee. With Fidelity if you need OR WANT information after 5:00 or saturday or sunday you will find a qualified person to talk to at FIDELITY. As stated previously, I have accounts at FIDELITY, T. Rowe and Vanguard. VANGUARD IS THE WORST OF THE THREE. Someone said they do not think there is a vanguard office in the villages. I'VE NEVER SEEN A VANGUARD OFFICE ANYWHERE SO I EXPECT THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY. Where we used to live there was a T. Rowe office a short drive from where we lived BUT THEY WERE IN THE PROCESS OF CLOSING IT-NOT CAUSE AND EFFECT I'M SURE. We had a complex transaction. We hopped into our golf cart and the people behind the desk supplied the correct forms and filled them out for us. They made a slight error and my Fidelity manager got it corrected for me. If, there was any loss FIDELITY ATE IT NOT ME. OH AND THE COFFEE IS GOOD.

I perhaps read too much and remember too many things I have read but not where I read them.

There are actually more different stock funds than there are different stocks. Obviously, out of the 28 funds you mentioned there is a tremendous overlap of them holding the same stocks. Apple is currently the largest stock company in the US-perhaps, in the world-I'm not certain about the second point. Surely APPL is in many of the 28 funds you own. Also, for you to follow what the MANAGER is doing is actually DELIBERATELY IMPOSSIBLE. He probably does not report it except 1/4 ly by then he has already done it and if the stock has in fact gone up you are paying the higher price. Any of these stock gurus. If, they have enough followers-SUCH AS CRAMER, they can actually move stocks. I do not recall his name but the manager of the FIDELITY MAGELLAN fund was famous for beating the competition. He was fined or jailed for getting on TV and predicting some stock would go up while he was selling into the market he manipulated into going up.

IF, YOU THINK THIS GAME IS FAIR, YOU WILL QUICKLY DISCOVER YOU ARE ONLY THE BAIT FOR THE BIG FISH.
YOU HEAR BUFFET LIKE OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF FAR TOO MANY. BUFFET DOES NOT EVEN BUY IN THE SAME MARKET WITH YOU AND I.

I recall reading somewhere that to have a balanced, stock portfolio you would need FOUR ETFS-large cap, small cap, medium cap and foreign index