View Single Post

Old 12-29-2016, 10:49 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
Another point of view and opinion from a very well respected, AND KNOWLEDGABLE writer who knows the subject.

Not a political viewpoint but a long range peace view. Mature, well documented.

Do not disagree simply because it is Obama.

"For those of you confused over the latest fight between President Obama and Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu of Israel, let me make it simple: Barack Obama and John Kerry admire and want to preserve Israel as a Jewish and democratic state in the Land of Israel. I have covered this issue my entire adult life and have never met two U.S. leaders more committed to Israel as a Jewish democracy.

But they are convinced — rightly — that Netanyahu is a leader who is forever dog paddling in the middle of the Rubicon, never ready to cross it. He is unwilling to make any big, hard decision to advance or preserve a two-state solution if that decision in any way risks his leadership of Israel’s right-wing coalition or forces him to confront the Jewish settlers, who relentlessly push Israel deeper and deeper into the West Bank."

He does know of what he speaks. Let us not assume because he uses Trump, that Netanyahu is correct, and not playing the "game"

"Obama ordered the U.S. to abstain on the U.N. resolution condemning the settlements (three months after Obama forged a 10-year, $38 billion military aid package for Israel — the largest for any U.S. ally ever) in hopes of sparking a debate inside Israel and to prevent it from closing off any chance of a two-state solution."
"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/28/op...hump.html?_r=0
Thank you for that. I know that there are always 2 sides to every story and it's good to examine both. I guess my problem with Obama is a trust issue regarding his motivations in his decision making and the people he sometimes relies on during that process. Not sure yet how I will feel about Trump in regards to this, but time will tell I guess.