View Single Post

Old 01-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I wonder if they are USGA conforming? For 99% of golfers, neither a golf ball or any golf club is going to make any difference in scoring. Golfers, like bowlers try to buy a better game in a local pro shop, but it just doesn't work.
Actually, I play with some medium high handicap players. They asked me why my ball stops and theirs doesn't. I asked what kind of ball they play and they all play low spin distance balls. One of them tried a higher spinning ball and his ball stopped much sooner than the distance ball that he normally played.

People should realized that they're only going to get a few more yards by playing a distance ball. And the shorter you hit it, the less the difference is going to be between a low spinning ball and a high spinning ball. But, if you are a reasonably decent chipper you'll probably shoot lower scores with the higher spinning ball.

I went through the same thing with my son who plays in the mid eighties. When he was down here he told me that he plays the cheapest balls he can find because he can't tell the difference. Once I had him hit a few short shots with one of my balls, he figured out why the balls he was playing were not good for his game. I gave him a couple dozen good balls for Christmas.

it may only affect two or three shots per round, but a decent ball will help you shoot lower scores than a $500 driver that helps you to hit it ten yards further.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.