View Single Post

Old 01-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobima View Post
My husband and I will be moving into TV in February and would love to hear everyone's recommendations for bands/music to hear for the happy hours at the Town Squares. We both love the music from our era (we were both born in the 1950's) but enjoy all kinds of music.
Also, is there a good jazz club around the villages? what about a piano bar? my husband plays the piano so we love to listen to pianists.
There are three bands that are what I would call showcase bands and draw huge crowds, they almost always play on market night or at Brownwood on a Friday or Saturday. Rocky & the Rollers is the most famous, they've been here for years, one of their singers was with the Platters, they have a horn section and the crowds for them are huge. There travel all around the country to perform and even have special cruises they book.

The second band is fairly new, having just started performing here last spring and they come from Orlando. That would be Johnny D and the Starlights. They perform the more rocking songs from the 50's and 60's, especially Buddy Holly. The singer has performed in the play the Buddy Holly Story and even was picked to lead the national version but had to turn it down due to time commitments.

The third band might be a little too new for you. I would say they were the second fiddle until Johnny D arrived on the scene. That is Uncle Bob's Rock Shop. They perform mostly 70's rock and late 60's. Anything from the Beatles to the Eagles, Tom Petty to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.

Another band that's in that same vein and had appeared here many times but were absent for a year or more, but I now see they are back at the squares. That would be Cactus Jack and the Cadillacs. They are similar to Uncle Bob but also do a lot of late 60's psych-rock, one hit wonders, etc.

I believe Jazz and or Blues is mostly performed at McCalls Tavern, which is at Spanish Springs next to one of the bowling alleys about a block off the square. If you go on youtube.com and search these names, or just music at The Villages you'll find video of almost every band performing here.