View Single Post

Old 01-14-2017, 09:19 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
Back to the original post, though.

What culpability should the 83 year old man face for killing the woman? Surely he has dementia to start shooting as soon as soon as he opened his front door. State mental institution for his remaining years?

Does everyone agree that his family should have removed guns from his house - assuming they knew he was of deminished mental capacity?

Should a doctor report to police that a dementia patient has a gun at home and it should be confiscated? Should doctors be required to ask dementia patients or their families if guns are present in the house?

In my opinion the answer to the first regarding his family -- yes, they should have attempted to take his gun. But, they should not be held liable for their negligence.

No, I doubt any doctor knows their patient well enough to know whether or not they have weapons at home.
No, a doctor should not be required to ask if a patient has a weapon.

These incidents are not the norm. You cannot protect everyone from every possible scenario.

If you want to stop some murders, then do something about the big cities and the gang violence. Get rid of ALL illegal drugs to start with. Charge any distributor with manslaughter and get them off the street. Dry up the source and you lower the violence. Instead of giving these cretins so many second and third chances, jail them or execute them for all I care. Get them off the street and the street will be safer. Put them back on the street and take the responsibility of any new violence they perpetrate.

Most violence today is related to drugs and alcohol. Start there.