View Single Post

Old 02-03-2017, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
No "high end" restaurant would survive because of the attitude of so many Villagers. The "entitled " attitude of doing things their own way.

Prime example - a group of around 8 ladies go to Glenview for lunch. They all ask for water and then stir in their Crystal Light lemonade. The server informs the manager who tells the ladies they will have to pay 75 cents for the water. They all get angry and are yelling about how unfair this is. Just plain CHEAP!

A couple will easily spend $175 plus tax and 20% tip at Ruth Chris. But how many times per month? Restaraunts have to be making a profit all the time and when snowbirds leave, the money stops being spent. 5 good months does not make a profitable year.
Not necessarily true. There are plenty of successful businesses here that survive on 5 months of great revenue and then run specials to stay afloat in the off season. That's pretty much the same in many parts of the country. Golf courses up north really have about 5-6 months where they really have to make it. Tat same can be said for ski resorts. Some go to another type of business in the off season. I had a friend that owned a driving range in Massachusetts. He sold Christmas trees in December and then took a couple months off.
It is probably more true that a high end restaurant might have more difficulty surviving the summers, because I would say that overall the snowbirds have more money than the year round residents. I think that a lot of us, not all, would be snowbirds if we could afford it. Many of the year round residents simply cannot afford to own two homes.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.