View Single Post

Old 02-03-2017, 11:08 AM
Sage

Your system should have a float connected to a shutoff switch. If the condensate isn't draining the system will stop running. If you ever call your HVAC vendor because of a non running system, the first thing they will check is whether the shutoff switch is tripped because of non draining condensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post

We have lived all over the US including the SE, NE and SW for over 30 years.

Problem: We discovered mold and mildew in our HVAC closet in our garage. We called the HVAC company that installed our system in Gilchrist...3 years ago.

We where told that since we did not pour hot water down this water drainage pipe every month that HVAC drain would back up and cause another problem. They said that we cause the problem. They informed us that we should have been trained in this procedure but we were not.

So I used clorox cleanup to clean the area including the hot water heater area. I had purchased a case (12) of air filters which I just discovered most of them now have mold and mildew on them and therefore I had to discard.

Now I was raised in Alabama, lived in Tenn. Connecticut and lived in San Antonio Texas for 25 years with similar weather and humidity like here we and I have NEVER had to pour hot water down a drainage pipe.

The problem seems that the HAVC company placed a pipe that is TOO SMALL.

I am retired and had no idea that we had to pour hot water down a small pipe every month!

Do you think I should have all the HAVC ductwork needs to be cleaned. I believe this will make us sick.

Your point of view? HELP!