View Single Post

Old 02-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Walkers, cyclists, skaters, and golf carts have the same rights and responsibilities on the MMPs. It is your responsibility to go around slower moving "entities" when it is safe to do so and walkers have every right to be on the MMPs.
That may be true, but in my humble opinion, you're taking your life in your hands if you're walking on those paths.

You have elderly people driving 600-800 pound vehicles at 20-25 mph on the paths. Some of them are driving golf carts because their driver's licenses have been taken away. I know of some that are legally blind and can't drive a car so they drive a golf cart.

Many of the paths are barely wide enough for two carts to pass side by side. Om many areas there are blind corners and walkers are not seen until it's very late. And then as the OP has pointed out if it comes down to crashing head first into another golf cart or taking out a pedestrian, what would your choice be. Also many walkers (not all) have this sort of arrogance about how they have as much right as a golf cart so they stand on the path in defiance of the carts. Again, it may be true, they do have the same rights and if it makes the feel better, "I Was Right" can always be written on their tombstone.

I think that The Villages is also at fault and could possibly be liable for someone getting severely injured on one of these paths. They should call them golf cart paths and ban walking on them or at least state that walkers and runners do so at their own risk.

Calling them multi modal paths encourages people to walk and run on them and endangers the lives and safety of the general public.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.