View Single Post

Old 02-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
I recently came into possession of a small paperback composition book that belonged my great-grandpa. It has a high school assignment he wrote about birds so it was passed on to me since I'm the bird fanatic.

I'd like to keep it in an envelope or something similar...what do I use that won't degrade the paper?
Hi BirdBrain,

You will need to store it in something that is acid-free and know a good place to put it. Acid, light, heat, humidity, bugs, and a few other things can cause the paper to deteriorate.

For a start, look up a company called Gaylord Archival. You can go to their site directly or find them on Amazon. (I would put a link here for you, but......(blush) I am on my iPad and keep forgetting to ask somebody to show me how to link on it.) There are other companies for these supplies, too.

Anyway, you will find exactly what you need for archival quality storage.

And may I say, how wise you are to know you need to know how to do this.

Also, what fun to find the words of your great-grandfather, writing about a topic that you love learning about, too. It is a joyful find for you and fits right into the questions we sometimes have about why we are who we are. Nature? Nurture? I bet you have been fascinated with birds as long as you can remember, but probably never got to talk about the topic with your great-grandfather -- yet, there it is.

And how nice of someone in the family to see to it that the composition book landed in the right hands.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 02-18-2017 at 09:37 AM.