View Single Post

Old 02-22-2017, 10:47 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Trumpet Vine? Or Any Trellis Climber That Is Tough?

A few weeks ago, I asked questions here about my bougainvillea and got lots of excellent answers from TOTVers. As things turned out though, I had to give up on the one that would not bloom. I replaced it with another one. But now that bougainvillea is behaving badly.

I know I sound impatient, but the trellis is located to be a focal point that I can see from the lanai and also the inside living area of our house. I want blooms. I want color. (The hibiscus that are a part of the scene are doing just fine -- except for the yellow ones. But I harshly pruned them and now they seem to be starting to try, at least. Tough love, I guess.)

But, hibiscus do not climb. I need a tough climber.

Would trumpet vine be a good choice for a replacement? Or would it take over everything when I was not looking?

Would mandevilla be not tough enough?

(The spot is sunny but for some reason bougainvillea cannot settle in there. Maybe it is not sunny enough. I don't know.)

I need ideas for a tough climbing plant to bloom on the trellis soon to be vacated by yet another uncooperative bougainvillea. (It's actually the third one I have tried in that spot. I know it is time to move on. But to what?)

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Last edited by Boomer; 02-22-2017 at 10:52 AM.