View Single Post

Old 03-02-2017, 09:15 PM
Default It's time to fertilize again

It's that time of the year, you can start feeding your palms again. Our new customers always ask when do we feed our palm trees? We recommend feeding them starting in March, then again in July, and then no later then the beginning of November. Lesco 8-2-12 is the best feed to use here in central Florida. It works very well for all your plantings including your grass. You can purchase this fertilizer at Site One, formerly John Deere Landscaping in Leesburg. DO NOT feed your palms later then the beginning of November as this can cause more harm then good. You do not want to force new growth to the tree later then November because any new growth coming from the crown of the tree can be damaged if we get a freeze. I noticed when I made a post last November on the 17th someone made a comment in regards to my post and corrected my dates of when to feed. I do these post periodically to help everyone that wants to learn the basics of plant care. I have been in the horticultural industry roughly 30 years. I was a wholesale grower here in central Florida for years, supplying plant material to 12 counties in this state. Including major accounts like the Theme Parks in central Florida, Weeki Wachee Springs on the west cost of Florida, Silver Springs in Ocala Florida, Albertson's distribution center in Orlando, Publix stores, Scotty's box stores in 12 counties, landscape company's, many floral shop's, and Garden Centers, major televised Golf tournaments, and major racing event's for television. Yes, maybe some people may have a different opinion when to feed your plants, but in the 30 years I have been doing this, I have NEVER seen a freeze here in this area in November. I have seen major freezes in 1985, 1989, and 2 others that were bad. But never in November in all my 30 years. Now from Ocala north that's a different story. So if someone wants to undermined my comments please do not do it on my post. Try making a new post and tell us about your horticultural backround here in central Florida, after all those are just guide lines that the University of Gainesville uses. And my recommendations are also just guide lines. I hope this will help a few people, I do this just as a common courtesy, just to help the average gardener here in The Villages. And I would also like to take this time to thank all of our customers for letting us make their landscaping dreams come true.

Last edited by Rons Landscaping; 03-06-2017 at 01:46 PM.