View Single Post

Old 03-13-2017, 11:11 AM
Sage
Default In the Kitchen - What's the best home cooked food you've made lately?

I see people don't post much in the kitchen forum and I don't know why. We all cook (at least most of us). I have begun watching Craftsy.com videos and have been learning some new techniques in the kitchen. I have been cooking for many years but there is always something new to learn.

I took an online class on roasting chickens, steaks, chops, roasts, etc. It really opened my eyes to the process that should be used for each and how to cook each to perfection.

The best thing I have made in my kitchen lately are 2 delicious ribeye steaks. I learned a new technique on how to use my well-seasoned cast iron pan on top of my stove. I put a little grape seed oil in the skillet (grape seed oil doesn't smoke as much). I patted dry the steaks which they say is very important. Seasoned them well with kosher salt and pepper. Browned them on medium heat until well seared. Put the steaks in a 375 degree oven and tested them with my cooking thermometer until they reached medium. About 6 minutes. Took them out of the oven, put a pat of butter on top, and let them sit for 15 minutes. Served them with horseradish sauce that I made by mixing sour cream and horseradish. So great!! You can try different seasonings like lemon pepper, seasoned salt, or whatever you like. The most important part is that you pat the steak very dry. Putting a wet steak in a pan will make it turn grey. Also important is taking the steak out of the refrigerator for an hour to take the chill off before cooking.

What is your best thing you've made lately?