View Single Post

Old 07-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Re: Velux or SolaTube skylight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI
Maybe this was discussed before and if so, I'm sorry but I have never heard of solar tubes until I visited TV. In L.A., we use skylights that are larger and give much more natural light than those smaller tubes. Is there a weather related reason why no skylights are used in TV or is it just more a preferential thing? Can someone explain it to me? Thanks, Kathie
Hi KathieI,

We had never seen solar tubes either until we were in TV. I think the purpose they serve is to light those inside rooms that have no windows anywhere. No light whatsoever. Someone told us that at first, they kept trying automatically to turn off their bathroom light even though it was not on.

We thought we would really like solar tubes in windowless rooms.

Mr. Boomer, who makes a study of this sort of thing, thinks that maybe solar tubes are easier to install. He is not home right now or I would ask him why he thinks that. I know that with skylights, the installer needs to have a major clue or you can have some leak problems so it seems. Solar tubes, too, maybe. Don't know. I also don't know about cost difference. Or maybe skylights would let in too much Florida sun. Actually all I do seem to know is that I don't know what I am talking about here.

But when I saw solar tubes for the first time, in a windowless room in TV, I said, "I don't know what it is, but I want it!"

Boomer