View Single Post

Old 03-28-2017, 05:26 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
Dear Guest:

don't hold back

you could have stopped with your first sentence "I'm more interested in this poster's REASON for this post"

Well simply stated, i read my paper this AM ran across this Notable & Quotable and thought I would share it because it points out how different people can spin the same stuff differently. No real deep or esoteric meaning here just a simple sharing.

Personal Best Regards:
Thanks and will accept it as that.

So used to your pointing out to others about Opinion pieces and sources and this one does not even make sense thus I was searching for some meaning, but alas........

Oh, and I very seldom hold back....I LOVE to read and especially politics and current events. The attack on the media recently for doing their job has bothered me, thus I guess I might be a bit suspicious.

I know you are very critical of the media, but then again, you seem to read "offbeat" media, including websites I shy away from.

I happen to think that the media does a great job. Are they bias....ABSOLUTELY AND FOR SURE but the mainstream media, because of the editors, will surely give you the A,B, C's of each story. That is why I always say you cannot stop with one source and you cannot read simply left or right wing sites or sources of news. BECAUSE you can package a story, give all the facts, but still end up being bias.

What is bothering me on the media now is the very very very hard criticism being lofted not only at them but the entire first amendment. I could go through so many instances of the media saving this country by digging and not giving up. Most, the GREAT majority of the media take great pride in their integrity and reporting.

Back in the 60's when I was really active in politics in Pennsylvania, I learned a lot about that job. Then it was slow and cumbersome and had no competition with extreme web sites, etc.

Since in Florida, my activity has lessened but I still have met many members of the media and what has not changed is their mission to get it right.

The internet is the worst enemy in the world of TRUTH. So many websites on both sides are open about their agenda. The paper you sourced which is now available only online has their own agenda and is far from what I would consider mainstream. I am conservative thus more accepting of some of their views but those who are moderate or liberal would not be happy at all

As you know, I will defend what I call the mainstream media because I differentiate between NEWS and their opinion or presentation of a platform, and if you do not do that....trouble.

I think that Ted Koeppel was right on when he commented to Sean Hannity that, and this is important.....THEY were bad for America. Hannity is touting only that he said that about Hannity but that is just not true. Fact is, here is the actual transcript of that period of the interview

"During a sit-down interview, Hannity called on Koppel to “give some credit” to people’s ability to differentiate between a news show and an opinion show. I highlighted in red the sentence that I agree with. These kind of shows are going to ruin America..there is not rush to actually learn or know facts.

“You’re cynical,” Hannity said.

“I am cynical,” Koppel responded.

“Do you think we’re bad for America? You think I’m bad for America?” Hannity asked.

Koppel didn’t miss a beat. “Yeah,” he said, and continued over multiple interruptions from Hannity:

Koppel: “In the long haul I think you and all these opinion shows —”

Hannity: “Really? That’s sad, Ted. That’s sad.”

Koppel: “No, you know why? Because you’re very good at what you do, and because you have attracted a significantly more influential —”

Hannity: “You are selling the American people short.”

Koppel: “No, let me finish the sentence before you do that.”

Hannity: “I’m listening. With all due respect. Take the floor.”

Koppel: “You have attracted people who are determined that ideology is more important than facts.”

I think it important to note that the comments were aimed at both LEFT AND RIGHT

Veteran newsman Ted Koppel tells Sean Hannity he’s bad for America - The Washington Post