View Single Post

Old 04-14-2017, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Capital punishment in my view is a matter best handled by those who would be most objective.

There is a difference between emotional empathy vis a vis cognitive empathy the latter preference for such decisions.

Also capital crimes or more to the point the circumstance surrounding them deserve individual consideration.

While victims families should have input initially they should not have lifetime access because in my view it negates all that a person does toward rehabilitation. Not all people entering prison are career criminals many have committed one crime, perhaps out of passion/

Yes, some deserve the death penalty and it should be carried out in a reasonable period of time and as humane a manner as possible
I do not believe rehabilitation really applies of these people are on death row.

I changed the name of the first man convicted of raping his wife in MN when I was a Student Attorney. The judge brought me into her office and chewed me out for helping this man. My duty though was to anyone who I got assigned as a client by the managing Lawyers at Legal Assistance to MN Prisoners. The ex-wife by law would have received immediate notice of this man's name change as well. Even some of the people in the legal community have the utmost contempt for some of those convicted of crimes and with cases like Casey Anthony for those accused as well. I really did not like this convicted rapist either but I did what the law required for him. I hope this is not violating any lawyer-client privilege as I am not sharing anything that would not be public record. My name would be on these court papers and the man did have his name changed. And no I do not actually remember what it was. Just how peeved the Judge and her workers were that I was doing this for him.