View Single Post

Old 04-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten Lee View Post
We traveled thru downtown Atlanta yesterday around 11:00am. Traffic was moving well above the speed limit. Chattanooga was more stop and go. Thru Nashville and north of Nashville it was slow going. There was a car in the grass between the north and southbound lanes. The police on the northbound side decided to block the left lane about 3/4 quarters of a mile before the car in the median in the same spot where the right hand lane ends. 3 lanes down to one. This added 45 minutes to the drive. Boy do I miss the old flip page AAA Trip Tiks where you could see alternate routes. Yes. I know there are phone apps but I like looking at a paper map.
Even with GPS and phone app's, I still keep one of these in the car.

Target : Expect More. Pay Less.

The Villages Florida

Especially since most GPS' and phone app's will give you what they consider the quickest route (if that's the default you've chosen), even if it's only a few seconds faster according to their algorithm's.

I have had to 'aim' toward a certain town, then put in my final destination when wanting to travel a different route.

When doing this, the new route will often show up as either taking the same amount of time or only a minute or so longer...but is much more interesting/scenic.

Having the Road Atlas, makes it much easier to plan a route to program into the GPS/phone app...than the one it wants to give.