View Single Post

Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msilagy View Post
I have found a route thru Alabama from The Villages to I65 (in Montgomery) which will take you north to the midwest states far away from the disaster in Atlanta. Atlanta traffic is awful on the best day but diverting 250,000 cars off I85 for the next few months till bridge is repaired spells long delays.

Take I75 94 miles to I-10W..... 166 miles to US 231, exit 130....... then approx 98 miles to I65 north (Montgomery). From there you can GPS wherever you are going. Completely bypasses Georgia.

This is just a suggestion from me on my way to Chicago - adds only about 56 miles to my trip and I have never seen Alabama. Have travelled thru Atlanta on I75 to and from Fl for 7 years between 10am and 2pm with little difficulty. I just think I might like to stay clear of the added congestion and confusion in Atlanta. Everyone of course can make their own determination as to what's best for their travels.
The only issue with the route you outline is US 231 and small towns you travel through for about 100 miles with traffic signals etc. We have tried these routes through Alabama a couple of times and went back to Georgia and I 75 straight through Atlanta on our way to Central Illinois. Given the circumstances, however, it might be prudent to go through Alabama again. Just remember that US 231 is not an Interstate highway and adjust accordingly.