View Single Post

Old 05-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr
I heard a rumor that there is an existing tunnel under the turnpike that was once used as a cattle crossing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Your last sentence is accurate.
Proof/link?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I would just like to see something on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
As for the dig, it was a massive project. Lots of contractors and politicians got rich. Originally scheduled to be a 4 year project, and cost $4B, it lasted almost 20 years and we're still paying for it because of the terrible workmanship. Multi-ton concrete tiles routinely fall from the roof and kill people. It also still leaks like a sieve.

By the way, Teddy Kennedy worked a deal where MA paid 25% and we (the Feds) paid 75%.
I have followed this project since inception and it is a monument to just about everything...NOT TO DO.

Big Dig - Wikipedia

Quote:
The Big Dig was the most expensive highway project in the US, and was plagued by cost overruns, delays, leaks, design flaws, charges of poor execution and use of substandard materials, criminal arrests, and one death.

The project was originally scheduled to be completed in 1998 at an estimated cost of $2.8 billion (in 1982 dollars, US$6.0 billion adjusted for inflation as of 2006). However, the project was completed only in December 2007, at a cost of over $14.6 billion ($8.08 billion in 1982 dollars, meaning a cost overrun of about 190%) as of 2006. The Boston Globe estimated that the project will ultimately cost $22 billion....