View Single Post

Old 05-21-2017, 10:24 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
I am an unapologetic liberal. This kind of post does not help our side although I understand where the motivation to says these things comes from. And if enough Trump administration representatives get booed and walked out on, then perhaps college administrators will stop inviting such persons to give commencement speeches.

Those decrying the actions of the students are failing to understand what the graduation ceremony represents. It is a celebration of the students' accomplishment. The speaker is there to add to the celebration, not detract from it. He, or she, is a guest of the institution but should be someone who is a pleasant addition. The graduation ceremony is not a learning experience. It is not to get another view of our culture or our politics. It is for fun. And being forced to listen to someone who represents the policies of the Trump administration is the opposite of celebratory for most young people and most college educated people.

You pick your best friend to toast you at your wedding, reminding you of past fun times and giving you encouragement for your bright future, not someone who bullied you in high school.
Bravo! Well what a nice way to get around to saying simply that " students have a right to say they support speech repression or "shut up" to the ideas of others.

I thought the purpose of a college education is to send students into the world with minds open and questioning, not closed and self righteous? I would believe that the objective would include speakers with varying points of view on the world.

Essentially what students are doing to people like Mike Pence, Ann Coulter, Donald Trump, Heather Mac Donald is what experts term "linguistic constructivism, which holds that we don't merely describe or represent the world in language , language creates the world and ourselves ( i.e. I identify as)...if reality is nothing more than a mere narrative then we can control what people say or are forbidden to say.

Speech repression comes in many forms such as trigger warnings, microagressions, claims of cultural appropriations, claims of non-binary sex ,safe spaces Gosh with lingusitic constructivism , specious claims can be endless.

Personal Best Regards: