Thread: Eye for an eye
View Single Post

Old 05-24-2017, 04:59 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
Most people's discussions will start with a central idea, and yours discounted the use of statistics regarding the chances of death due to drunken driving vs terrorism. Your second sentence was a stretch of a conclusion that terrorists wish to take over the world.

Terrorism has been historically used by fringe groups to disrupt the status quo. Lately, the threat of terrorism has caused a huge reaction by the US and many other western civilizations to enhance "security" by means of instituting screenings at airports, increased militarization of police, political rhetoric to justify the restrictions of freedom, once enjoyed by all, in the name of security. That has sprouted a newly emerging technology of CTV cameras and other surveillance again limiting the freedoms of the citizens of those countries that were once enjoyed.

By comparing the actual statistical facts regarding deaths and injuries of terrorism, with other things, like alcohol abuse (including drunk driving), car crashes, gun violence,drug overdoses, and other accidents, terrorism is not as deadly as many of those other situations, yet terrorism has blossomed huge amounts of resources in order to combat it.

Not saying that the anguish and heartbreak of this latest event in Manchester is not an event that needs attention, but the massacres of children in schools(Sandy Hook & Columbine are examples), in Oklahoma City, and the gassing of Syrian children has not resulted in the kind of action that "terrorism" has.

I was a first responder, a paramedic/firefighter, who witnessed first hand many tragedies, and my heart has been broken because of the innocent loss of life, both adult and child. I do not diminish the loss that the families and the city of Manchester are now experiencing, I just want us to put things into perspective with the rest of the world's experiences in loss of life.

Perhaps I misjudged your intention, and if I did, I do apologize. Please look at this at my explanation of my thought process.
Attachment 68792
This time I sincerely thank you for taking the time to explain your thought processes. It helps me to understand that our differences lie, not so much in the details you discuss, but in how we view today's terrorism. Although I know this radical fringe has been active on and off for many centuries, I do take them seriously that their goal is to take over the world and force their brand of "religion" on the rest of us. The fact that it is getting closer and closer to home as we speak makes me believe that it will become the ultimate threat to our society if not contained. I respect that your viewpoint may be different than mine and appreciate that you took the time to share it.