View Single Post

Old 05-25-2017, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

You didn't say if your home is masonry or stick built. In 2011 and 2012 I used to walk everyday around our sub-division and saw about 60 designer homes go up on Southern Star Golf Course. Back in my first life in the 70's I bought and sold five new homes in five years in Pensacola. After watching the first three being built, I was able to work as my own general contractor on the last two homes.

The masonry block home's walls are built in 1-1/2 days. You'll see about a dozen cars parked along the street and about 20 workers laying block. It's amazing what they can do in such a short time. Then a crane will come in and set the trusses. A stick built home will have a framing crew of about 6 to 8 workers and they usually take about 10 days. Now is the time to make sure of the walls are where they should be, and a window is where it should or shouldn't be. After the trusses are set, plywood, and then felt paper are put on the top and windows are set in place. This is called being dried in, now the inside work can start. The inside wall framing, electricians wiring, overhead lights, can lights, make sure you have lights where you want. Many times they will center the dining room light with the walls and not where you really want to put the table. Drywood will start to happen after the electrician is done. All together most designer homes take about 55 days from start to finish in TV.

Of course right before all that, the slab is poured, so being there before when the plumbing is roughed in, you want to make sure the shower, the tub, the island sink are where they are suppose to be located. Have a floorplan with you as you walk around the outside.

If you're building a standard floorplan without any modifications I don't see any problems. So if you made changes, bumped out a wall, added a window, etc., these are the items you want to watch.