Thread: Volusia
View Single Post

Old 05-30-2017, 07:43 PM
Gold member

Ya know that since the USGA doesn't recognize these exec courses you can play any tee you'd like. You don't even have to pay attention to the tee markers. So any issues with where they put them is a moot point.

As for me? Since you ask...I've been playing for over 50 years....stand at about a scratch or better on the execs(no matter the tees) and a 2 to 5 on the championships from the whites...perhaps 3 to 6 on the blues. I've never understood the idea that playing from longer is more of a challenge...if you're making a good swing then contact is the same and if you know your club distances the accuracy will be oddly similar whether it's a wedge or a 3 wood.

It gives me a chuckle to see men and women struggling from the black exec tees and claiming it's more challenging...I suspect that even if they hit from the green or gold their score would be quite similar, but might feel less inclined to accept a higher score from there. I again suspect that getting a higher score from shorter tees makes them feel crappy.

Skill from all distances is derived from practice and understanding. Accomplishments come from a ball well struck be it a wedge or a driver. Those who think it's less a challenge or less manly(womanly)are only fooling themselves.

Sorry to be blunt, but at this age it's not about kidding yourself, but fun.