View Single Post

Old 06-04-2017, 10:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie View Post
We are building in TV and have been riding around looking at the wonderful landscaping evident all over TV. Stone, wood mulch, amazing plants; we need some info; what are the rules? What grows best? What approvals are needed? Notify neighbors? We want to be good citizens with a beautiful yard. Thanks!
Many residents move to Florida from up north and must have palm trees.
After you've lived here a while, you find that you want shade trees, particularly on the west and south side of your house.
Be aware that rats love and live in the canopy of palms. And yes -- there are rats here.

I can recommend Sabrina McGowan of S. McGowan Landscapers -- (352) 274-4189.
She is an architect and landscape designer which most of the others are not.
When approved by you, I believe she submits the plan to Architectural Review (ARC) herself (ask her).

My recommendation is not based on personal experience.
However, I have seen much of her work and her ideas are not like anyone else's.
She has a flair for creating an interesting design -- interesting and different from most of the others.
If I was to redo our landscaping, she would be the first and only person I would use.

I would never use Mansfield.
Besides being arrogant (I speak from personal experience), almost all his things look the same.

Since you are building, take your home with no plantings or trees (and ask for the credit!), and get together with her well beforehand.
The day of closing she can start landscaping your property if you are ready.

Whatever you do, I hope you are happy with your results.