View Single Post

Old 07-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

When you ask your financial advisor for all fee's, most will respond why it's only X% of your invested amount. WRONG. If they are charging you lets say 1%, than the total will be significantly more. There are fee's for every purchase and sale and trade they make, there are loads on most everything they buy, there are kick backs from many of the products they use, and on and on. And all that is over and above their annual fee. For a 1% advisor, it is usually at a minimum 200% more or a total of about 3%. Most will never show you the true cost to you.

Index funds will almost always beat every portfolio manager out there. And if any advisor does beat index funds than they are taking significantly more risk with your money. And the return is not sustainable.

I have been using index funds for over 30 years. During those 30 years which include a couple of market crashes, my 30 year average is 8.2% total return annually after expenses. (I do use a small cap value tilt which does improve returns) My expenses using Morningstar Radar is .011% a year. I use Vanguard with a little bit in Schwab and Fidelity.

I will be happy to teach anyone how to do this for free. And I get nothing in return other than the satisfaction of seeing some advisor lose a client.

The OP is offering an investment club approach to help teach you sound investment strategy. I don't know him/her and have never even talked to any of the clubs members. I think I should attend a meeting and get to know them. Never hurts to keep learning.