View Single Post

Old 07-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frangyomory
Villages is really a close knit community. People here really watch out for each other. We have hundreds of clubs with annual fees of about $10 or less. Each Thursday you will read about a hundred or more of these clubs in the Recreation Newsletter published with the Daily Sun. There are neighborhood pools close by to almost all the homes. The recreation centers have shuffleboard, boccie, pickle ball (sp), and all other kinds of games going on all year long.

Yes, golf is the big thing and if you don't play, you never know, you just might make friends with some who do and find yourself playing a day a week at some point.

Entertainment free every night at the town center; great shopping and restaurant; getting around almost everywhere in golf carts and saving on gas.

I can't even get nearly half of the wonder of living here. I don't think if everyone posted just their favorite things we would hit everything that is great about the Villages. We have been here three years and while I do get irked from time to time I have NEVER regretted moving here.

I found a great church; an excellent doctor and wonderful friends. Can't ask for more.
Fran calls it perfectly. After my 3 years here, I still find myself almost in awe that I stumbled into this wonderful place. Yeah, like Fran said, we all get irked about the little stuff on occasion, but it pales by comparison to what we have. Walk along the boardwalk at LSL around sunset and when you look at the forethought and detail of what we've stepped into, you cannot help but be amazed. Drive the length of Buena Vista and look at the landscaping. Look around and remember that this was not forest, it was pasture land, and look at the giant moss covered trees that were saved. Look at the acres and acres of wetlands and other green in a "housing development" of 70,000 people, areas that support our friendly gators, the gorgeous and quirky sandhill cranes, and plethora of other birds that seem so alien to a midwestern/DC boy like me.

I sure am lucky that back in 2003, someone mentioned to me a strange "retirement" place called The Villages and I followed up on my investigation. Oh, and did I mention that the vast, vast majority of the people I've met here have been just superb, and I've been lucky enough to make some of the best friends I've had in my life.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e