View Single Post

Old 07-30-2017, 08:36 PM
Default Healthy palms getting yellow and brown tips?

I have this year encountered a problem that may be affecting Villagers, particularly the southern half.

Some very well known lawn care companies are turning off your bubblers. This may not be a problem for Pindo , Europeans or MAYBE sabals (sabals would prefer the water, but don't need it).

If your Sylvester(or most any other palm) has been planted more than a year and was doing well, has lots of brown tips now, some yellowing, and most important... partially folded 'leaflets' on the fronds CHECK YOUR BUBBLERS.

I won't mention the name of the offending company, but I talked to the district manager about one home where I had the palms coming back and looking better..
(They wanted to replace 4 'dying' Sylvesters, I turned the bubblers back on and hose soaked them, saving them THOUSANDS),
...till he (big company lawn tech) turned off the bubblers AGAIN as well as turned off bubblers on 4 freshly planted palms.

Remember with your landscape and lawn.. whatever the problem MIGHT be, CHECK WATER/IRRIGATION FIRST. It is simply put, the most important thing.

You might want to check with your lawn care people or the tech and see if they turned your bubblers off as policy... and tell them you want yours on, palm roots are 4 to 6 feet underground, sprinklers are NOT getting water down there.
Big trees need big water. You wouldn't feed a great dane the same amount as a pug...