View Single Post

Old 08-02-2017, 08:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
While I am sure there are those who have better info than I do, I would offer the following. I do a lot of GEOCACHING in the area including the ONF. I have seen old trailers and shacks that show evidence of habitation. I have also run across vehicles that are homes to some unfortunate persons. My observations into what I consider the ONF is that I have run across several tent cities. What is truly the forest is not the towns mentioned previously. While they may harbor a lot of poverty, these shacks and trailers are not likely to be truly in the forest. The tent cities I have seen were groups of ten to 20 tents with lawn chairs fire pits etc. When I passed nearby , I did not notice any persons, but you could tell they were being used. The several that I passed were not deep in the forest and I am imagining that they served as shelter at night but that the owners emerged during daylight hours for school, work etc. I have also seen evidence of tents in some local towns on public land and even not far off of Hiway 441 close to Tavares behind some businesses.
What is clear, is that there are a lot if folks needing our help.

You are correct. Folks who know...say not to venture deep into the forest. They also are "sectioned" off with "regular" homes to more primitive living. Some of these are dangerous to well-meaning people. The population there is also generational....Churches in our area have ministries helping the folks so it's best to work through these if folks want to help out.