Thread: Dunkirk (2017)
View Single Post

Old 08-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Sage
Default Dunkirk - 3.5 Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
We went to the 3:45 show today at LSL of Dunkirk, which has an IMDB 8.5 rating from 133,000 posters. Dunkirk opened two weeks ago tomorrow and has taken in $100 million so far and the theater was packed today. Another film that opened the same day is Valerian, which has an IMDB 6.8 rating and has only taken in $30 million nationwide and yet The Villages has it playing at two theaters.

I gave Dunkirk 10 Stars. Even though it's not perfect it still rates a 10 and what could of been improved? Maybe they could of put subtitles on the screen. The problem being is the soundtrack and the mix of explosions, machine gun fire, yelling, etc. created an almost constant wave of sound. Dialogue of any consequence is almost nil, and when someone does speak, it lost in the mix and combined with the English accent I maybe understood 5 words in the whole film. The director knew the film didn't need much spoken word, he let the action speak for itself. The film focused on air, sea and ground troops engaging the enemy and then all coming together at the end. You had some regular faces but no names, you saw familar faces and followed their perils and you cared about the characters, but yet never knew who they were. It does come across as a classy film.
Agree with John's review. I saw it last night in an IMAX theater in suburban Chicago. Very impressive film, although understanding the dialogue was not always easy.