View Single Post

Old 08-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary lovell
We have two identical "leather " recliners purchased from Blockers in Ocala three years ago. Cost $1740 with "FIVE year warranty" . One of them has the leather peeling off like paint on an old ,old house; the other is pristine . It turns out that contrary to what we were told, the warranty says " chipping of veneers or laminates" are covered and in the next column near the bottom, it excludes " cracking or peeling of leather" . Now, we discover that the covering of "leather" is called " bonded leather" a .002 " thick covering of vinyl over a base of bonded leather scraps and chips of leather . Total thickness where unpeeled is .029" . Newspaper is .003" thick , so the vinyl is pretty comparable to a spray painted coating !
They did offer to redo the armrests and back for $ 250 , but why would anyone waste more money ? I'm looking for a craftsman to reupholstery my recliner - - .
Buy Naugahyde or vinyl, or cowhide , but beware of " bonded" and most of all ; Beware of Blockers ! ! !
Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
It seems from your post, you were aware that you were buying bonded leather. Perhaps, they offered real leather upholstery but that would have been far more expensive.

After reading Gary's post, I don't see how you can say that. When we bought our furniture from Kanes in 2011 we also went to Blockers and Rooms to Go since they are all side by side. When we went to Blockers, we liked their leather console recliners but left because it was $500 more than Kanes, and at that time both stores told us it was leather. We didn't buy from Rooms to Go because they didn't have power in the loveseats, and we liked that feature.

Gary: that sale at Badcock is still going on now. It's great material, wipes off easy, and looks just like it does in the photo. They also have a darker brown if the cream color is not what you like. For $398 I don't think you can beat this. I've seen cheap recliners at Walmart and Sam's Club and they look cheap, this looks much more expensive.

Hamilton Glider Recliner | Badcock &more

The Villages Florida